Friday, September 18, 2009

Cousins

My nephew Kyle is gone again. Last year he received a full academic scholarship to one of the most prestigious boarding schools in the country. I am proud of him but I miss him. This summer I learned how to do the stinky leg (the latest dance) and I know the hottest rapper is Drake.

I wonder how Welansa feels now that he is gone? Does she know that he will be coming back? No matter how long they are apart she never forgets him. Every time they re-unite her face lights up and she runs into his arms.

I had no idea how Welansa and Kyle’s relationship would be. During the adoption process he seemed indifferent. He is a teenager who cares about the hottest clothes, the latest dances, and of course girls. Little did I know Welansa would be the first girl to win his heart.

He was the first one to take her out of my arms at the airport. Her 2nd favorite person is Kyle. There have been times when she has preferred Kyle over me. Kyle let’s her do and eat anything she wants. The other day I caught Kyle feeding her potato chips. I was too late with the candy and I hate to admit it gum. Treats that she would not receive from me. Now its mommy I want candy, mommy I want gum, and mommy I want chips.

Kyle has been very helpful with increasing her language skills as well. The other day she walked in the room and said “mommy what’s up”. And even funnier she handed me a piece of paper and I said “thank you”. Her response “no problem”. I guess it could be worse.

I will never forget Kyle’s 1st day at school. We were on our way to the cafeteria and I told him I would push Welansa’s stroller if he wanted me to. I figured he wanted to start collecting “cool points” and pushing his cousins stroller through the middle of the cafeteria would surely put his account in the negative. He told me that he had it and ate his lunch with Welansa on his lap. I realized then that he was probably very nervous and afraid but he found comfort in Welansa.

I am glad their relationship is so close.

3 comments:

Monica Lidya's Mom said...

Awww so sweet! There is nothing cuter than a big cool guy gushing over a sweet baby. Those pictures of the two of them are the cutest.

Angela said...

This is the sweetest post! Of course I'm partial to teenage boys. They're so much fun. I love it....the stinky leg, "what's up?". Teenagers have a way with kiddies.

I find it adorable.

Shawn said...

So cute!! Welansa is in trouble when she gets older; her cousin is not gonna let her get into anything! (LOL)