Thursday, November 5, 2009

Complicated ??Questions?? Already !!!

I thought I had time but obviously not. Now I have to re-organize myself and update my task list. I knew it would happen and I am okay and totally comfortable with the ?question?. But I did not think my 2 year and 5 month old daughter would ask so soon. This is what I get for letting my mother be the babysitter. My mother is not a babysitter but a teacher.

Last week's lesson plan must have been "family" because Welansa started naming the different members in a family. She pointed to her "family wall" and said "mother, father, brother, sister, auntie, uncle". The "family wall" consists of pictures of her grandmother, godparents, cousins, aunts, uncle, and two siblings (the cats).

She knows the name of every person/animal on the wall. In her mind everyone was accounted for except for the "FATHER". So in true Welansa fashion my girl says to me "mommy where is daddy?". I wanted to say that right now your daddy (Idris Elba) is dating someone else. He has yet to meet me, fall madly in love, and ask me to marry him so he can be your daddy. Okay back to reality.

For 30 seconds I sat there in shock. According to my calculations she is asking me this question way too early and I am not prepared. Oh well let me give it my best shot. I explained to Welansa that there were different types of families. Some families have a mommy, daddy, and children. Some families have a mommy and children, and some families have a daddy and children. In your family you have a mommy, an uncle, a grandma, aunties, cousins, two cats, and godparents and they love you very much. You have a godfather who plays the role of a father and he is going to teach you to speak Amharic too. She said "okay".

Welansa loves story time so I am going to order some children’s books on growing up in a single parent home. If you have any other suggestions or books to recommend please let me know.

SINGLE PARENTING BOOKS







Also, I have been meaning to purchase some children's books on adoption.

ADOPTION BOOKS FOR CHILDREN





5 comments:

Shawn said...

You answered that question so well. I know I wouldn't have been able to think that fast. Welansa is so smart, and definitely beyond her years! BTW, I forgot to tell you that Idris is my man! Now if only I could figure out how to handle 2 at a time (LOL). He is beyond fine!

kmr said...

Welansa is a smart little girl. I think you handled the situation well.

Ha, Idris. I'll be sure and tell him he has a wife and child waiting for him as soon as I get his number.

Brenda said...

Shawn,

I will let you have him for hour to help you get over the "blues". After your one hour is up, please return him to his rightful owner "ME".

KMR,

I hope you read the comment I left for Shawn. Remember the song by Monica and Brandi "THE BOY IS MINE" :-)

Robbin Hopkins said...

Clearly Idris and I are getting married. As soon as he remembers he loves me!!!! I do love your answer and will save some of those books to my favorite

Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks