Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Gettin My "Fly" Back

I finally had to break down and take some time off. It was needed. Five hours of sleep, rushing every morning to get to work late, Welansa, and the job had my head spinning. I am off for the rest of the week and will return to work on Monday. I am super excited. I started my mental health staycation by picking up some much craved Ethiopian Food. I picked Welansa up from the sitter and went to my mom's house to eat dinner. I was too tired to make Welansa a plate so she sat on my lap and we devoured our sambusa and doro wat.

After dinner we played for a while and then I brushed her teeth and put her in the bed. I am guilty of letting the TV baby sit tonight because when I left she was watching Dora. Oh well at least she will learn to speak Spanish. I gave my mom the peace sign and headed towards the door. She joked with me and said “your child is not sleep where are you going?” I said "it takes a village to raise a child and when I received my referral for Welansa I never said I have a baby I said we have a baby so I’m out!!!” We started laughing. Back in the day if I took the day off she stayed with me.

Not this time. Mama needs a break. A friend of mine said “B what’s up? I can tell you have a baby now.” I asked him what he meant by that statement although I already knew the answer. He said “ you still look fly BUT”. He need not say anymore. Five hours of sleep leaves me with circles under my eyes, 20 minutes for makeup and hair is not cutting it, and the fact that I have not hit the mall in a while because shopping with a 2 year old is not fun has caught up to me.

So I have to get my “fly” back. I am going to sleep late, get a pedicure, and do some shopping. I’ll show him!!!

6 comments:

Jebena said...

Good for you Brenda!!!! We have to learn to take care of ourselves if we are to take care of others!

Your response to your Mom tickled me---so let the village take care of Babygirl and you go get FLY!!!!

Will you be posting what you bought????

Shawn said...

Girl I don't know who he would be referring to . You are so fly! We have to remember to steal time for ourselves sometimes. Enjoy your much needed break!

Bennett said...

it is amazing how it just takes one to make a comment to get us going. A much needed break indeed is should be a guilt-less pleasure!!! Girl go head get your fly on!!! Enjoy your days off!

tenne said...

Remember what they say on the plane, you put your oxygen mask on first and then on the children because if you can't function, you can't save them!

The mommy guilt can be a killer but you will be so much happier and rested for having taken care of your needs for once, that it can only make Welansa's life happier!

Robbin Hopkins said...

I agree that it is so important and besides the mother that came to the school in rollers and house shoes NEVER intended to become that mom. LOL....

kmr said...

Do what you need to do. BABY GIRL expects a fly mama.