Monday, December 14, 2009

I Made It

My last post stated that I was taking a few days off to take care of myself and I did just that. On Thursday, I slept late and then took Welansa to the sitter. After dropping her off I went to the nail salon to get an ever so needed pedicure, manicure, and eyebrow waxing. I was starting to feel like a new woman. After my visit at the nail salon I did some major shopping. I was in need of everything FALL/ WINTER. I found some really cute hats, sweaters, and belts. I had the hardest time finding a pair of pants. Jebena I did manage to take a picture of the belts and hat I purchased.

I am ever so grateful I did take two days off. God knew that I would need the days to build up my strength to get through the next couple of weeks. About 3 weeks ago I went to my new General Manager and asked if she needed assistance on a certain project. Her response to me was “sure please take care of the project for me”. Okay. I met with her to go over the section I volunteered to assist her with only to find out that I would now be responsible for the ENTIRE project.

Some people asked why in the world would I volunteer my services. My response was “I know what I am doing”. One, I have worked in the same position now for 10 years and special projects allow me to put a little spice in my professional life. Two, I leave everyday at 5pm and rarely do I work over 40 hours. All the other Directors work more than 40 hours, however, none of them have children. Third, the new GM needed to know my work ethic. Although she had already heard about me she had never seen me in action. Fourth, she needed to know that I will work late and weekends if I have to, however, it will not happen on a normal basis.

The project was a huge success and now the new GM is very familiar with how I handle projects. And I received a cash bonus and 4 Jet Blue airline tickets. I learned a very valuable lesson during this project and I know why I have not made an issue to seek employment elsewhere. I learned that I do not want an extremely demanding job. During this project there were some days I saw Welansa 1 – 2 hours in a day. It broke my heart. There were nights that I would rush home to put her to bed so I could do some extra work at home. And on Sunday I had to take her to work with me so I could work on setup. My staff has worked for me for a while so rarely do I get calls at home. I have always empowered them to think and make decisions for themselves. It has paid off. After 5pm I don’t think about my J-O-B.

Welansa accompanying me to work was actually fun. I worked with the Operations Staff. It was kind of funny seeing these young guys with lots of tattoos and earrings in their ear playing with Welansa and trying to teach Welansa how to dance salsa.

Just when I thought the excitement was over. My brother, his wife, and five children came to New York for Thanksgiving. My first question was “where are you staying?” With you and Welansa he replied. My apartment was a mess because of the special project but I managed to pull it together and Welansa enjoyed the time with her cousins

During the visit I wanted to take a picture of all of the cousins. I had been waiting for this moment since I bought Welansa home. Be careful of what you wish for. Trying to get 6 boys and 1 girl to be still so I could take a picture was a hot mess. Let’s just say it did not turn out so great. I would love to post the picture but my brother does not want his children’s picture on the net. Oh well.

Now Christmas is here and I have not done a thing except attempt to take pictures of Welansa in her Christmas dress. That was another hot mess. The child can’t be still!!!



STUFF FROM MY SHOPPING SPREE

FEELING LIKE BRENDA AGAIN

HURRY UP PLEASE

HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY "CHEESE"

I'M OUT OF HERE!!

4 comments:

Monica Lidya's Mom said...

See hard work and a strong work ethic still pays off. I'm really jealous of the 4 airline tickets. You both look beautiful!

Jebena said...

Go Brenda, show them what you work with!

You are working the dress sista-- and Missy is adorable in all the photos...especially the last one (heheheheh)!

PS...I got dibs on your black belt when you are ready to clean out the closets! (hehehehehe)!

tenne said...

You look absolutely beautiful and so does your daughter!

Glad to see you got your fly back and proved your a sensational woman as well as mom.

PS. you could always use those tickets to fly to BC. (hint, hint)

kmr said...

Glad to have ya back.