Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Same Age



For the next couple of months my brother and I are the same age. Yes it’s possible. I was born in February and my brother the month of December. Most people think we are twins. We have always been in the same grade but separate classrooms. We have been roommates and college buddies.

Perhaps this is why we are so close and I chose him as my travel buddy when I went to Ethiopia. When I think about my brother it reminds me of our trip to Ethiopia. It was the first time in over 15 years I had him all to myself. I am reminded that I am blessed to have him as a brother and a friend.

Our trip to Ethiopia reminded me that my brother still does not plan properly. Five hours before our flight and we are at Wal-Mart picking up last minute travel items. We had planned the trip over 2 months ago.

Our trip to Ethiopia reminded me that my brother is extremely laid back and takes life as it comes. Emirates Airlines misplaced his luggage for 2 days. He made the best of it and didn’t complain.

Our trip to Ethiopia reminded me of the days we use to share a bedroom and the same bed. This came in handy because the guesthouse overbooked their rooms and my brother and I had to share a bed and a bedroom.

Our trip to Ethiopia reminded me that I still like to hover and worry about my little brother who is now a grown man. He loved Ethiopia and would often leave the guesthouse and take long walks. I was worried he would get lost.

Our trip to Ethiopia reminded me that my brother is still a comedian. John was getting dressed and on his way to a coffee shop. I was taking a shower when all of sudden the showerhead broke and water began to gush out of the fixture. I did not want to get the floor wet so I used my hand as a stopper. I asked John to help me but he said he was on his way out so he would stop by the desk and have them send someone up to help me out. But I don’t have any clothes on I shouted. He said, “oh well” and started laughing. Finally, he took his clothes off and we switched places. I called the front desk and a man came with a machete. That was even funnier.

Our trip to Ethiopia reminded me that my brother is not afraid to stand up for what is right. While in a shopping center my brother saw a shop owner swinging a stick at some young children who were begging for money and food. Let’s just say by the time it was over the shopkeeper understood a little bit of English. Simply put he was not going to mistreat any children in front of my brother.

Our trip to Ethiopia reminded me that my brother is a kind and giving soul. While in Dire Dawa a young boy asked my brother to buy a pack of tissue. My brother bought the tissue and gave the young man (Abdey) a ride before we made our way to lunch. Abdey’s home was a street corner his family lost their home in a flood. He sold tissues to support his mother, sister, and brother. As we drove off my brother said to our guide (Ephrim) and myself that we would not eat until Abdey and his family ate. So off to the market we went. We picked up some food and brought it back to Abdey and his family. While eating lunch my brother asked Ephrim how much it would cost to get the family an apartment. About $35 a month, that’s all my brother needed to know. It’s been two years and let’s just say Abdey and his family no longer live on the street, have plenty of food to eat, and Abdey no longer sells tissue. He has been instructed to go to school and care for his family.

John, Abdey, and Ephrim


John playing with the children in the orphanage

Our trip to Ethiopia reminded me that no matter how close we are we still fight and get on each other nerves. What were we fighting over or shall I say who? Welansa of course. Because both of us wanted to hold her we fought all the time about whose turn it was to hold her.

7 comments:

kn said...

I love your blog but don't post often. I had to comment though on this wonderful post about your brother!
thanks for writing about your brother and your trip to ET, it was a pleasure to read.

Monica Lidya's Mom said...

That was a beautiful post. Your brother sounds like a wonderful person.

Gracie's Mom said...

Ahhhh how beautiful. You're brother sounds like a gem. Wish there were more brothers like him around.

Single PAP said...

what a wonderful post! is he single?? heehee

happy new year!

tenne said...

I certainly agree with you that your brother is an amazing person. I can still see the two of you, sitting on the couch, busting a gut trying to tell us the shower story!

Say hello to him for me and have a great new year.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post.

Thank GOD for kind people like him.

Happy 2010!!!

Sen

Angela said...

Wow...your brother is a sweetheart. 35 dollars a month to pay for an apartment. I think about how many times I've blown 35 dollars. What a blessing to that family.