Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Sweet Memories of Carnival

I LOVE this video. It reminds of the days I spent attending various Caribbean Carnivals throughout the US. Miami Carnival is my favorite. Pre-Welansa I would leave NY on a Friday and return on a Tuesday. From the time I touched down until the time I left it was a big party. If I got 4 hours of sleep the entire weekend I was doing good. ALL of my time was spent dancing (winding down and flingin waist) and hanging with my friends. One summer I decided to attend as many Carnivals in the US as I could. I know crazy, crazy, crazy but I had lots of fun. Truth be told my old bones would not allow me to do that anymore :-).


Nick Jr.'s rendition of Mocho Jumbie

When the video comes on Welansa starts running around the room or moving her hips. The other day in circle time everyone was sitting down singing “BINGO” and she got up, put her hands on her hips, and started moving her waist.


My rendition of Mocho Jumbie.
I was at this concert acting a fool my legs hurt so bad after that concert.

During dinner I like to have some type of Ethiopian music playing. After dinner I turn the music up and we have our dance sessions. I am trying to learn some of the Ethiopian dances and moving the shoulders is a must. Between the moving of the waist (Caribbean side) and the shoulders (Ethiopian side) I think she will have some pretty good dance moves.

Her dance moves.

More dance moves.

My sister is thinking about having a 50th Birthday Party. I am sure Welansa’s God Parents will attend. They are Ethiopian and I am so blessed to have them in our lives. I have not seen all of the Ethiopian dances but from what I have seen they are kind of conservative. When my family parties, we play all types of music but once you start playing the Calypso and Soca it’s a wrap. The dance floor is packed, hips are moving, and people are jumping up waving their flags. I hope Kassahun and Abaynesh don’t have second thoughts about my family once they see the craziness :-). I am sure they won’t. I do plan on getting them an Ethiopian flag or shall I say “rag” so when the deejay says represent your country Welansa and her God Parents can represent Ethiopia.

3 comments:

Gracie's Mom said...

ohhh Gracie and I luvvvvv when that Nick Jr. Papa Moco comes on Gracie's jumps up too and starts dancing around. It is so cute. I luv it. Now I've never been to a real carnival on the islands but when I lived in NYC I would always go to the West Indian Day Parade on Eastern Pkwy.

Brenda said...

Teri,

I knew you were my kind of girl. If you can do the West Indian Day Parade on the Parkway we can hang out anytime!

Sweet Patience said...

Brenda,
You brought back memories. We used to go to the West Indian Day Parade as well on Labor Day. My first parade was September 2000. We stood for a while and then we went to one of his aunts home off of Eastern Parkway and watched it from the window! We were up all night from the earlier event that started at 3am or 4am ( I can't spell it--Juvae or something like that)! It was an experience! Oh, I miss NYC, but he doesn't.

My hubby is a "Trini" and he exposed me to everything when we started dating in NYC. We also went to Canada one summer to the parade in July. He has family there too.

We are trying to get to Carnival in Trinidad one February! He still has tons of family over there, however, most are in NYC.