Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentines Day - My Birthday

Valentines Day was my Birthday. I turned 39 years old. I am happy that I have reached a point in my life where I want a Valentine but I don’t need a Valentine. Wants and needs are two different things.

My only request for my Birthday was a home cooked seafood feast with my three favorite girls, my mother, sister, and of course Welansa. Work has been extremely crazy and parenting a 2-½ year old can leave you exhausted. All I wanted to do was relax, eat, and have a nice glass of sangria.

Welansa attended church with my sister and mother so I dropped her off at the church and went back home. The goal was to nap for 45 minutes, finish dinner (I cook several meals on Sunday), get dressed, and then pick my mother and Welansa up from church when it ended. All I needed was 2 ½ hours. However, after 1 hour and 20 minutes, my mother was ready for me to pick her up. Of course I had an attitude because I still had rollers in my hair and I had not taken a shower. Who wants to look crazy on their Birthday?

I was starting to feel like a cab and a bit stressed. Since Welansa’s arrival I do my best to stay away from things and people that stress me out. Anything or anyone that is high maintenance sends me running in the opposite direction. The last thing I wanted to do was take my mother home, drive back to my house to get dressed and then drive back to my sister and mother’s house for dinner. The driving back and forth was starting to make this Birthday Seafood feast stressful.

My mother could tell I had an attitude and she was not having it. She gave me attitude right back. We went back and forth and basically I told her that if I took her home I would not be coming back. During our conversation or should I say disagreement Welansa made sure to add her two cents. She told her grandma “don’t talk to my mommy anymore” and then told me “don’t talk to my grandma anymore” so sad when a 2 ½ year old has to intercede. My mother and I looked at each other and laughed.

Long story short I took my mother home and went back to my house and never went back for my home cooked seafood feast. I spent the entire day in rollers and sweat pants chilling with Welansa. I kept waiting and hoping that my mother and sister would knock on my door with my b-day cake and seafood. That did not happen. So I called Dominos. Five minutes after I ordered, my Godson’s mother knocked on my door. She went to my sisters & mothers house to drop off my gift only I was not there. My mother prepared a doggy bag for me (fried shrimp, shrimp scampi, crab legs, and a backed potato), which included a slice of my birthday cake and sent it with my Godson’s mother. I can’t believe they ate and cut MY birthday cake without me.

I knew I had to make things right between my mother and I. That’s my girl and I can’t stand when we disagree with each other. So I walked in tonight with 4 Peanut Butter cups. My mother is easy to please. I handed her the peace offering and told her I was sorry. She gave me a big hug and kiss and we sat down to chat. She explained to me that she loves being with Welansa BUT she can be challenging at times. I understand what she is talking about. Welansa is very sweet but extremely stubborn, catches attitudes often, and can be a bit challenging. She like me does not have time for a lot of drama. She has to save her energy for helping care for Welansa. So Welansa is the common denominator. We both looked at each other and started laughing because neither one of us wants to deal with drama because we have to save our energy for Welansa. So I jokingly said to Welansa that she is causing problems in my relationship with my mother. Her response “no I not”. At the end of the day we both know it has nothing to do with Welansa.

I hope and pray that my relationship with Welansa is similar to the relationship I have with my mother. Life is a gift and we can’t spend our time and energy being upset with each other because that is my MOTHER and I am her DAUGHTER.

8 comments:

Angela said...

Good post Brenda. True love knows no bounderies. I love, love love, my mommy too but she'll get on my nerve sometimes. lol. At the end of the day, it's as if nothing ever happened.

Sweet Patience said...

Happy Belated birthday!
My Birthday was on the 10th!
Sweet post. Mother daughter relationships are special and can be taxing at times, however they are priceless relationships. My mother and I are very close as well. However, sometimes when I go back home where I am from to visit my parents, after 3 or 4 days under the same roof, my mom and I can get on each others nerves. In her eyes, I am still a little girl and not in my thirties! LOL! She has lightened up a little bit though.
My husband often teases me because my parents would like for us to relocate to the state where I am from so that they can help with kids since we are family planning. My parents offered to let us live with them if we moved back and wanted to build a home there to save money by staying with them until our home was finished. Sounds great, however, I don't know if I could last two months! On the other hand, my hubby would be in hog heaven. She spoils him and he has no issue. Funny.
I am glad everything turned out okay with you and your mom! Moms are truly special, however, we all have our own quirks. We just have to chose our battles!

Gracie's Mom said...

Happy Belated Bday. I hate it started kinda rough but glad it ended with you and your mom laughing together. That's how it should be. Oh and I'm glad you got your seafood doggy bag :)

Jebena said...

Happy B-lated-B-day. It did my heart glad knowing you and your Mom were able to laugh and share a peanutbutter cup---through the lessons I learned from the past week, I am grateful for every minute good or bad, up or down, agreed or disagreed that I have with my Mom and with my daughters.

Thanks for the gentle reminder!

Brenda said...

Sweet Patience - Happy Belated Birthday!!!!

Ladies - The love my mom has for me is so deep. I am often amazed because no matter what, she ALWAYS loves me. But I should not be surprised because this is the same love I have for my Welansa.

Thanks for the Birthday wishes !!!!

VALARIE said...

This was such a good post. Happy Birthday. My birthday was on February 15, my new son's birthday was on February 11. This was the first year that I didn't get to do any of those things that you described because I put all of my energy into his first ever American birthday party. I so, just wanted to curl up or have my favorite food without having to answer 6 and 7 year old questions. Well, on my actual birthday my children were strangely quiet. They played together famously and I heard very little if any bickering. I told them I was going into my room to rest and I even closed the door. They never knocked on it, scratched it, kicked it, or yelled for me from outside. Somehow I had a really peaceful day. Later when I told my daughter how great they had been all day, she said, "I know mom it was your birthday present. We wanted to be really good and give you time for rest and not bother you. Happy Birthday!" It made my day.

Glad you and your mom smoothed things over and that Welansa provided a little comic relief.

Brenda said...

Valerie,

Happy Birthday. So glad you enjoyed your special day.

Brenda

tenne said...

Happy birthday and cherish the fights with your mom. Mine died when we were in the homestudy stage of our adoption and the only real regret I have in life is she never met her grandaughter.

It's really sad to be a mom when you don't have one, so enjoy it while you can.