Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Family

My uncle, aunt, and cousin are moving back to Tulsa, Oklahoma. I knew their relocation to New York was a temporary move. I loved having them live only ten minutes from my house. They were so supportive during my adoption process and have supported me in my journey as a single mom. They practically purchased every big-ticket item on my baby registrary. I remember feeling loved but overwhelmed.
My aunt reminded me that it was my turn and that she was so proud of me. My uncle was the father I needed. He put together the complicated stroller I had to have. My aunt always encouraged me to listen to others but in the end do what was right me for because Welansa is MY child. My cousin taught me a valuable in lesson in learning to appreciate life and my good health.
We all met at my sister’s house yesterday and another cousin joined in on the fun. It was her first time meeting Welansa. My aunt was running late and I started to feel annoyed because I needed to go home and clean. My inner voice reminded me that spending time with family is a gift. The house cleaning could wait. It is possible that these same family members may never be together again, so enjoy the moment be present and forget about mopping the floor tonight. It is guaranteed to be there when you get home.

Welansa was nice enough to sing some songs for us and kept us laughing with her ever increasing vocabulary (oh goodness, no problem, what’s up, and excuse me auntie Flo Flo).
I will take Welensa to visit my family in Tulsa, OK sometime next year. I was joking with my family when I said I have no idea what we are going to do there. They assured me that there are lots of things to do. Don’t let the name fool you. My inner voice also reminded me to teach Welansa that no matter where she is, she can have a great time if she chooses. Furthermore, spending time with family is always fun and that right there is enough in itself.

0 comments: