Thursday, June 18, 2009

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY



Happy Father’s Day to my brother John, the man who taught me my first lessons in being a mom. Before I submitted my application to the adoption agency, I knew my brother would be my travel companion. He is understanding, supportive, funny, and a great teacher. Everything you need in a companion when you are traveling 6976 miles to meet your daughter for the first time. It was my brother who sat by my side when Welansa was placed in my arms and my life changed forever.

My brother is the father of five boys. That’s right five boys and no girls. With the support of his wife he is raising five fine young men. He can cook a great meal, clean, change diapers, help with homework and much more. I have learned some valuable lessons from my brother in my short span of being a mom and some are more memorable and funny than others.

The first lesson I learned was in burping. Apparently I was not hitting Welansa on her back hard enough. I guess I was afraid I would break her. My brother made sure to remind me daily to hit a little harder.

The second lesson I learned was the proper way to use an aspirator. I knew what the device was for. But what end goes in the nose? Just kidding. But I did learn it would not work if you don’t place it securely up the nose.

The third lesson I learned was in clothing. I was running low on clean undershirts so I decided to skip putting an undershirt on Welansa one night. When my brother realized she did not have an undershirt on I was advised “babies should have an undershirt on at all times”. Really ?? I thought it was the pamper that should be worn at all times.

The final lesson I learned was with feeding. I was very happy Welansa liked water because lots of babies don't. However, I was reminded by the baby nurse (my brother of course) not to give her too much water. Seriously 2 oz. of water is not a lot. Or was it??

I am ever so grateful for the lessons learned. But more importantly for the teacher who took the time to travel with me and support me during one of the most important journey in my life.

HAPPY FATHER’S DAY JOHN !!!














0 comments: