Wednesday, October 28, 2009

I Know I Shouldn’t Have But I Did.

Frankly I was tired of:

*The wheels on the bus going round and round (I was starting to get dizzy)
*The itsy bitsy spider going up the water spout (doesn’t he get tired)
*Old McDonald on his farm. (how about Old McDonald goes to the zoo)
*B-I-N-G-O the dog (I am sure at this point Bingo knows his name)
*Rowing the boat down the stream (let’s just get in the car and go)
*Being happy and you know and having to show it. (The smile on face is not enough?)

I have done my very best to ensure that the music in the car is age appropriate. I have a CD of children’s song just for baby girl. However, on this particular morning I needed a boost. I needed a song with a hype beat. SO I DID IT. I reached over and pressed “4” on the radio and one of my favorite songs “Empire State of Mind” by Jay Z was playing on the radio. I know, I know, I shouldn’t have but I had to. Once I heard the chorus:

New York, I'm becomin' where dreams are made of
There's nothin' you can't do
out of New York
These streets will make you feel brand new
Big lights will inspire you
Let's hear it for New York, New York,
New York

It was a wrap there was no turning back I could not turn the station. So I did it. I opened the sunroof, turned the music up so I could feel the beat, moved my head to the rhythm, and enjoyed the song. When I looked in my rear view mirror Welansa was moving her head too.

I carried this indiscretion around for about a week. I mean how could I? But then I found out that “Empire State of Mind” has become the theme song for Yankee Playoff Series. Now Jay Z and fellow New Yorker Alicia Keys will perform the song at
Game 2 of the World Series and I can’t forget the 911 Benefit Concert Jay Z did. All of the proceeds went to the New York Police and Fire Widows’ Children’s Fund.

Well, perhaps I can stop feeling so darn guilty.

6 comments:

kmr said...

It's ok. Lil Mama will be alright. LOL I am glad I was exposed to good classic, old school r&b, gospel, etc.

Gracie's Mom said...

My name is Graciesmomz and I confess to letting my child listen to "Blame it on the Alcohol" by Jaime Fox. I LUVV that song and so does G. Ok sitting back down now with shame heeheee.

Brenda said...

Okay ladies now I really don't feel bad. I am at peace now!!

Brenda said...

Okay ladies now I really don't feel bad. I am at peace now!!

Jebena said...

Hehehe....throwing my hand up, I'm guilty as well!

Babysongbird will forego Old MacDonald at the drop of a dime, heck a nickle, when she hears Mary J. Blige's "The One" --- and if it weren't for the dumb-butt line in Jay's song, "Jesus can't save you life starts when the church ends" (The devil is a liar and so is JayZ on that one)...then yeah, we'd be bouncing to New York too!!!

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.