Friday, October 2, 2009

October 3, 2007

October 3, 2007, was an ordinary day for me so I thought. I did my usual, which included work and home. I was home watching America’s Next Top model taking my braids out when I got “the call”. It was totally unexpected. The agency I used does not have a “waiting list” instead they have a committee that selects the child for your family. I was okay with waiting for my referral. I learned to savor my childless moments knowing that my life was going to change forever.

Besides, I believe some how some way that God blesses us with the children we are suppose to have. Thus, I could not rush God it would be in his own time. So after a five-month wait I was contacted by my agency. I don’t have caller ID on my home phone because no one really contacts me at the number. I thought it was my agency checking to see how things were going. Little did I know it was to give me information about a 4-month-old girl by the name of Welansa from Dire Dawa, Ethiopia. My heart stopped and during that moment this little baby entered my world and changed me forever.

Unfortunately I would have to wait eight LONG days to see her face for the first time. When I opened the email it was love at first sight.

4 comments:

Angela said...

That's a day worth remembering Brenda. Happy referral day!

Shawn said...

Aww. Look at Welansa! So pretty. I have to give you a call soon. I am so antsy waiting for a court date.

Orange Girl said...

Ah! A tiny baby from Dire Dawa in a little blue bouncy seat. A very heartwarming sight that I, too, remember from October 2007. How is it possible that it was 2 years ago that we were finally blessed to see our daughters for the first time? Wow. :)

Katie

Brenda said...

Katie,

I know they grow up so fast. From what I am told the women from Dire Dawa are held in high regard, agreessive, and tell you the way it is. I'm sure you know this already because Isa is from the same area.